Sunday, January 06, 2019

How Vistara Won a Self Googling Writer Over



Here is a trade secret. Writers like me, claiming to be non-mainstream, non-literary festival type, ‘I do it for the love of writing’ sorts - Google themselves when things are not going well or when they are going well.

So, the other evening, after a long day designed in hell and hand crafted here on earth, I typed in my name and hit the magic button.

Google spat out reviews from three years ago when my first novel was a bit of a ‘thing’ in the national media for about thirty days. These are dark days, and I can do with good news. So I went through each review, whispering ‘You Da Man’ ‘Who does the Hindu like’ ‘You Da Man’ ‘Who does the Statesman love’ ‘You Da Man’ ‘What does the Times of India say?’ ‘You da man’ and so on till I came across a positive feature the Vistara Inflight magazine had run on my book.

Back then a friend who had come across that review on board Vistara, a full service Indian Airilne, and had excitedly messaged saying how proud it made him feel. It took an empty bank account then to stop me from hopping on to the next Vistara flight to any place to ‘flick’ a copy of the magazine.

When that result was thrown up I opened the file containing newspaper clippings from that time and realized I never got hold of that in-flight Magazine.  Knowing the chances of any airline, let alone one as sorted as Vistara, reviewing any of my books again are slim - I took a slow long breath and tweeted to the CSCO of Vistara ( @TheSanjivKapoor ) telling him how great the airline was and checked if he would mind sending a once famous for 30 days writer a copy of the one in-flight magazine he should have snuck into the carry on bag but never did.

While I had zero expectations, it was not entirely on a whim. I had been following Sanjiv (accidentally first thinking he was that chef) on twitter and seen him do a fantastic job engaging with customers. The guy sounds earnest enough and it does seem like no desi hipster with a beard who got ‘how the young speak’ is tweeting on his behalf.

Almost immediately Mr. Kapoor did his thing and asked who the cynic in me originally thought were bots to get back to me. Holy Yashwant Kanetkar Let Us C.  A certain Harshita got in touch and asked me for my address and promised she would check and get back.  Now I have had many Harshitas in the past promise that they would get back so expectations were still low.

That very evening, another individual messaged saying they were working on my request. Now, the second message from an organization’s twitter handle is where the ‘fake concern’  stands exposed for they typically ask about the whole thing once again and you get into episode recap mode ‘ ‘The story so far…I am a surprisingly good looking writer who was featured in your…’

None of that from the Vistara team (@airvistara). Just a simple message when I did not ask for an update. ‘We are trying to find that edition internally as well as at the publisher and it might take time’

The next day I got another message from Harshita who now I have come to learn gets back when she says she will get back.  It was a simple, ‘Gaurav. Please allow us some time to check and get back to you.’ So I allowed them some time.

A couple of days later, a Bhavna messaged saying neither the publisher nor their office has a copy of that particular edition and so I asked her to share my gratitude to everyone who took out time to service this unique request from a non-customer. And I went along with my life, googling myself every evening – looking back at the good times. 

You know this does not end, do you. You have seen the picture.

A week later I returned home to a courier from Maxposure (@MaxposureMediamedia (who I believe manage the content for Vistara. They had tracked down one copy and sent it over.

What brilliance. There is underpromise and overdeliver and then there is no promise but still deliver. Customer delight is a much abused phrase that should be shredded, burned and then buried for it is rarely achieved yet causes so much heartburn to employees who sometimes seek to achieve the unreasonable and impossible.

Customer respect is more important and realistic and a far more balanced approach for both internal and external stakeholders. But Vistara managed to do both.

Next time, I am definitely flying Vistara with a copy of the June 2015 magazine in my hand. So when I get the attention of my co-passenger I point at a younger me on that page and then the real me on the seat next to him /her.  That’s me. Yeah. No big deal. Today is your lucky day. Flying next to a celebrity from June 2015. Do google me when you land.
---
Have a great year ahead everyone.

PS- Ignore the typos.










No comments: